Every writer needs a little direction, inspiration, and chocolate. Amiright?
Hello Writer is a monthly subscription program for people who are craving encouragement, structure and community to give their writing fuel. Maybe you used to write all the time, but the spark is getting lost in the sway of your busy life. Maybe you’re working on a project that’s gotten unwieldy and intimidating. Maybe you know you have magic in you, but you have no idea how to bring it out. Welcome. We’ve designed this for you.
Once a month you’ll receive a gorgeous, packed-with-love care package in your mailbox. It will speak to your practical side who wants to connect to the world of writers, learn techniques and start right now. It will also speak to your softer side who wants permission to daydream, look out the window and eat chocolate. (… all extremely valid writing activities. You’ll see.)
Each month, you’ll receive a big, colourful package in your mailbox packed with:
You’ll get a letter from me, Chris, your writing coach. I’ll be offering stories and insights on what I’m learning about being a writer and suggesting ways for you to sink deeper into your own writing self this month. You’ll also get a power word on a little card to carry with you. For an idea of my voice and writing style, see here.
You’ll get three fun, easy projects, each in their own sealed envelope. These are bite-sized and expandable — you can do them in 15 minutes or you can work on them all month long. They’ll also be FUN. No obscure prompts or homework-y slogs here. You’ll be cutting things up, incorporating random objects into stories, writing to people and bushwhacking way outside the paths your brain usually walks.
You’ll get two pieces of community members’ writing from last month’s pack, with my reflections on why I loved them, and what we can all learn from them. These will be a chance to celebrate one another while learning writing techniques and tricks. One of these could be written by you! You can send us everything you write for the chance to be featured.
You’ll get a small, carefully-curated list of upcoming writing contests and submission deadlines to bring this big, often-confusing world of “getting published” to your door. If you’re in Toronto, this will also include news of a “Firefly Field trip” — a literary event (book launch, poetry slam, letter writing meetup) that we would love to see you at!
Got a piece published? Looking for a reader for the first draft of your novel? Email us and we’ll include it in our community notice board.
Writing can be hard. Treats are important. Every month you’ll get a couple sweet extras, things like fair-trade chocolate, sticky notes, new pens, stationery, a beautifully designed quote about writing to frame… all the things we know writers love, even if they won’t admit it.
Truth is, you are a writer. This pack will lead you back to that truth, over and over, with joy and thought and fun, every single month.
What People Are Saying
Begin Your Subscription
Join whenever you choose. If you ask us, today is a great day… but you’re in control. If you sign up before the last day of the month, you’ll get the following month’s package.
Who It's For
This subscription service is designed for people who:
- Have an longing to write that often goes under-served, even unnoticed
- Sometimes (or always) need a little direction to get their pens moving
- Want to feel like they’re part of a writing community, but don’t have time to show up at poetry readings and book launches every week
- Have a great appreciation for beauty, care, loving details and dark chocolate
- Miss the feeling of looking at their mailbox with joyful anticipation
- Long to reconnect to the joy and power of their own writing, their own vision, their own truth
- Find it hard to carve out huge stretches of time, but still want to keep their creative voices alive and active
- Want to have fun with writing again — to be spontaneous, light, curious and tuned to wonder
This subscription service won't try to give you:
- Critique on your writing. We’ll publish two pieces each month with comments on what makes them so awesome (you’re welcome to submit your work) but we don’t respond to every piece that comes in.
- Direction on how to make it through a big project. We do that personal and complex stuff in workshops and through coaching.
- Rules and how-to’s — you’re smarter than the rules, and your writing improves when you write.
- Help writing things you don’t want to write. You’re unlikely to get your end-of-year report done with the help of these packs. But you never know, a little inspiration can take you to unexpected places.